Sunday, August 10, 2014

Old Best Friend

A couple of days ago, an old friend of mine got in contact with me. She was my very best friend for a big part of my life and I loved her friendship so much. Towards the end of my sophomore year in high school, we began to drift apart. Nothing particularly happened, it was just something that happened. That summer, she lost someone very close to her and all I wanted to do was be there for her. I found myself unsure how to handle the situation, do I treat her as if we have been drifting apart or do I set that aside and just comfort her as if we were our normal best friend selves? I look back and I think I chose wrong. I let the awkwardness of our relationship get in the way of how I treated her during this time of her loss. The anniversary of the loss is soon approaching and with her and I back in touch, again I find myself in a similar situation. Do I mention the anniversary like I would normally do if we were best friends or do I let it go unnoticed because we are not at that level of familiarity yet?  I guess I will know what to do when the moment happens. Apart from how to handle the anniversary of the loss, I also feel like I shouldn't be happy that we are talking again. I want to be, but this isn't the first time we have gotten in touch after not talking. We talk for a while, I get my hopes up and then it stops, just like that. Every time it happens, I get sad, and I just make myself believe that our friendship is truly over. Once I believe that, for some reason or another, she comes back into my life. Sometimes I feel like saying "Make up your mind" but I stop myself because at the end of the day, nothing would make me happier than to have my old best friend back. I know it won't be instant, but someday I really hope I can, again, be to her the thing she was to me, a sister. Only time can tell if this time we will keep it up. I really do hope so. Happy Blogging!

No comments:

Post a Comment